Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Sketchbookery: Keys & Tubes

I'm on the "no walking" restriction for at least another week (and perhaps more if the incision continues to balk at staying closed) so I am still tucked in at home, drawing on the couch, art supplies covering every available surface within arm's length.  I've been unsuccessful at convincing my son to gather stuff from outside for me to draw so as of now, my Sketchbookery sketchbook is filling up with renderings of inorganic objects.  Luckily, my studio has yielded a treasure trove of odds & ends for drawing practice.

I've realized that I particularly like to draw collections of similar objects.  This page of vintage and modern keys took three days to complete and more than a few curse words slipped from my mouth as I worked on rendering the varying shades of metal, from shiny silver to tarnished brass.  All the work was worth it in the end as this is probably one of my favorite drawings ever.  I did give myself a bit of a scare at the end though because when the page was finished, I impulsively decided to splatter the page with a paintbrush and a drippy watercolor crayon.  Literally, the second the paint began flying towards all my hard work, I regretted my impulse.  However, by some miracle, nothing got obscured by a rogue blob of color and my neighbors were spared the cries of rage and sorrow that surely would've resulted.

This second page is my version of a color wheel.  Ever since art school and its seemingly endless string of "Create-A-Color-Wheel" commandments, I involuntarily groan aloud when a color wheel assignment crosses my path.  Color wheels (and knowledge of color relationships) are valuable tools and in fact, I reference one almost every time I work but I am deeply tired of making them in the classic format.  This page is my way of adding some challenge and variety to the standard color wheel project.  And again, I like drawing different versions of the same object.  Some of those paint tubes ended up waaay out of proportion but Miss Mary Ann Moss has done a great job of teaching me to keep drawing no matter what the evil critic voices are screaming in my ear. 

PS...Under that scrap of ledger paper on the "keys" page is a HUGE lettering error.  I tried some kind of crazy, triple-shadowed, boxed-in Roman capitals and it wasn't even remotely readable.  The ledger paper cover-up solution worked better for the page overall anyway.  So, don't give up if something goes sideways!  Just adjust your direction accordingly and keep on sailing!

6 comments:

  1. Michelle, I'm so glad that Sketchbookery has introduced me to your blog because I am loving what you are doing. I'm sorry you're still immobile but gosh, I'm impressed at how you are finding such cool and creative ways to fill your sketchbook. I LOVE your keys and I like the splattering, too. (I'm a big fan of splattering, myself.) Your paint tube colorwheel is just AWEsome. I think I need to go do that now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from a fellow Sketchbookery chimp. I love, love, love your drawings, especially the keys page and especially the ledger paper addition. Thanks for sharing! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great color wheel idea...and I love your keys...also in Sketchbookery!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy Keys Batman!!! Those are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am one of your blog readers all the way from Turkey. I am happy to hear you are recovering your health and keeping up with art production. I think these sketches are really good. In a way it feels refreshed. Hope you get better soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a strange fascination with keys...particularly older ones, so I'm right with you when it's one of your favourite sketches. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...