Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Wake Up Call

How many of you out there have done some or all of the following?  Sit quietly for a moment in your studio space, consider carefully, and be honest...
  •  Purchased a new book or art supply, read a few pages, maybe did an exercise or two, or completed a few swatches/experiments and then stashed the new goodie away and forgot it existed...
  •  Went searching for something you knew you had only to discover something else that you had forgot about...
  •  Tore out all the articles you loved from your favorite magazines with the intention of getting back to those fantastic, "must make" projects and yet never did...
  •  Fell in lust with a new art supply, purchased it in every color imaginable and then only ever used the same five or six colors...
  •  Discovered a new technique or craft, collected all the tools and supplies for that craft, dabbled for a while, and then abandoned all that stuff in favor of the next big idea...and then the next...and the next...
  •  Spent more time lusting after, hunting, gathering, and organizing supplies than actually making something... 
  • Spent time learning the techniques of (and perhaps purchasing the products promoted by) a well-known artist only to feel like you can't make stuff that feels representative of you...
  • Felt a little bit embarrassed when a stranger (or even a family member) sees your art supply stash and comments on its size (perhaps even making a reference to the show "Hoarders"?)...
  • Wished you could make more art and followed that wish with the phrases "If only I had..." or "If only I could..."
  • Spent money you didn't really have for something you didn't really need...
  • Accumulated a vast stash of art supplies and reference materials that will constitute a big clean-up and clear out chore for your loved ones when you pass on...
For my part, I've done all of the above and frankly, it is hurting my creativity, the expression of my unique vision, and of course, my wallet.  This isn't a new topic here at Lost Coast Post; about this time each year, I revisit this theme.  Well, I think it is time to pay real attention to a reoccurring thought.  There's so much at stake.  I'm changing things up in 2014, curling inward.  However, instead of sleeping in my hoard like Smaug the dragon, I'm going to start actively appreciating and using what I have.  I'm not going to waste any more time in search of more "treasure" I don't need; the treasure I really need to unearth lies within.  More to come in future posts...

9 comments:

  1. yes! i'm with you, and very focused on using what i have for the past year or so. and it works! because i have plenty! i really enjoy your blog, btw - thank you for taking the time to share :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha ha ha ha, YES to all of the above. I am now finding it all incredibly claustrophobic and very stifling so have decided to get rid of as much as humanly possible and go back to basics.
    Fantastic post Michelle, it really does feel good to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way.
    Huge hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Yes! Yes! The word for me is overwhelmed - I have so much I feel overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my .... it sounds like you and could be sisters... no maybe cousins.... or we are made from the same cloth! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definately done some of these, huge stash of torn out cross stitch patterns from early 2000's. Speciality items for dozens of crafts from candle making to bobbin lace. Thankfully I have the space for them (suddenly and unfortunately) and I never spend and money I don't have.

    My other problem is when I make printed papers (gelli prints etc) but they are so nice I just want to hoard them, I have taken to scanning my faves so I can use them digitally and for blog graphics too so I can get double use out of them.

    Kim catsandcreativity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. oooo boy! Yes, I identified with most all of your points....supplies and taking classes are addictions I'm trying to curb (she says as she's enrolled in two online workshops at the same time). I am trying, for example, I see all the neat backgrounds and paper made with the Gelli Plate and I want one...that may be my last bigger purchase...time will tell. I think I watch and read more about making art than actually doing it.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  7. raising my hand, me too! i have decided this is the year to purge. i have spent the last two weeks getting the stuff out of my craft area (in my bedroom) that i don't use any more and getting it down to the basement where i can sort it out. it seems that my taste change a lot (maybe just following the fad) but i am learning to do the things that i enjoy the most and putting the others aside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can you hear me groaning? All the way from New Zealand?

    I have decided to buy nothing new although I can replace basic supplies provided I can't find a substitute somewhere in the house.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog and taking a moment to comment! If you would like a response to a specific question, you are welcome to email me directly at lostcoastpost@suddenlink.net

Thank you again for the time you've spent here. Most sincerely, Michelle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...